Mrs. Frey’s ELA- Grading Policy
- Main story selections are presented as the students are guided in the reading of the story
- Skills and strategies are emphasized
- Vocabulary is stressed
- Comprehension of the material read is discussed
Independent Reading is promoted throughout the school year. Students will read articles, complete classwork, and take quizzes from Time for Kids and Scholastic News magazines.
Students will use the Read Live program in order to improve their reading fluency and comprehension skills.
The Read 180 program will be used this year to improve reading skills.
- Students write in a variety of forms with an emphasis on citing evidence from the text.
- Students understand and use the writing process.
- Students will use the correct conventions of the English language (spelling, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation).
The Read 180 program will be used this year to improve writing skills.
Reading and Writing Grades
Tests, quizzes, classwork, writing assignments, and performance grades from Read 180 will count towards 90% of the student’s quarterly average.
Homework counts for 10% of the student’s quarterly average.
Students will be required to read articles from Time for Kids and Scholastic News Magazines. Students may also be expected to complete a worksheet based on the article that is assigned and/or annotate the text. A homework grade will be calculated at the end of the quarter.
Grades will be posted on Parent Portal in a timely manner.