Highlights of the Lancaster Central School District Wellness Plan
The Lancaster Central School District is committed to providing a school environment that promotes and protects children’s health, well-being, and the ability to learn by fostering healthy eating and physical activity before, during and after the school day. District staff will be encouraged to model healthy eating, drinking, and physical activity behaviors for students.
Goal 1 - To Improve Nutrition Education/Choices
Food Sold for Fundraising
- All foods and beverages sold as or during a fundraiser during the school day will meet, or exceed, the District's acceptable nutritional requirements. Sales of these foods and beverages must be sold at the conclusion of the school day.
- Those conducting school-sponsored fundraisers are encouraged to support the goals of the Lancaster Central School District Wellness Plan by promoting the sale of healthy food items, non-food items (e.g., water bottles, plants), or by promoting events involving physical activity (e.g., walk-a-thons, jump rope-a-thons, bike rides).
- All school-sponsored fundraisers must be approved by the appropriate building principal prior to being conducted.
- Discourage the Use of Food as a Reward (with the exception of Individual Education Plans).
- The District will encourage staff and parents to provide students with healthy options at any event where food and beverages are served to students.
- Lancaster Central School District personnel are discouraged from using food as a reward.
Goal 2 - To Increase Physical Activity
- Supervised recess time is recommended for all students within each school day at all elementary schools. All classroom teachers are encouraged to incorporate into the school day short breaks for students that include physical activity, especially after long periods of inactivity.
- Physical activity during the school day, including, but not limited to, recess or classroom activity breaks, will not be withheld for disciplinary action unless the student is in danger to him or herself or others.
Some Non-Food Party Options…
- “Small, fun" Erasers
- Small Play-Do
- Small Books
- Coloring book/Crayons
- "Fun straws"
- Glow Sticks
- Cards or Card Games
- Plastic Rings
- Washable Tattoos
- Bouncy Balls
- Trading Cards
- Small Paint Set
- Jump Ropes
- Extra Recess Time
- "Movie Time"
- “Game Time” in Class
- Lunch in the Classroom with the Teacher and a Friend or Two
- Extra “Free Choice Time”
- Bring Something for the Whole Class to Sign (stuffed animal, pennant, etc.)
- Make a CD with all your child's favorite music (one for each student)
- Plant Seeds – Flowers or Veggies
- Child could "donate" a book/game to the class in their honor
- Child to be King or Queen or the day-get to help with EVERYTHING that day
District Wellness Plan
If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.